In Our Recipe Box: Black Bean & Quinoa Enchilada Bake
This is one of those recipes that’s so easy, crowd pleasing and healthy that it could become an immediate staple for any family. Protein-packed and so delicious, this is a great weeknight meal.
Black Bean and Quinoa Enchilada Bake
Recipe adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed,diced
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1 orange pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1 cup corn frozen kernels
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 small can green chiles
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Toppings: Sliced green onions, avocado slices, sour cream, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Add quinoa and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Cover quinoa and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the peppers and corn. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add the lime juice, cumin, chili powder, green chiles, black olives and cilantro. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked quinoa and black beans. Add the sautéed vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Pour in the enchilada sauce and stir. Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Pour the black bean and quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining shredded cheese. Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil. Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and edges are bubbling. Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes. Garnish with toppings, if desired. Serve warm.
You must be logged in to post a comment.